Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday's Bits and Pieces for 09.25.09

FLEA MARKET SUNDAY!

If you can get there, you really should go to the Broadway Flea Market in Shubert Alley on Sunday the 27th. As I’ve mentioned before, it is a lot of fun and you can get some amazing stuff cheap and more amazing stuff for a lot of money! But it is all for a great cause, Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. They are calling for rain Sunday, but they are planning on it going on as scheduled, unless it is a steady downpour. Check http://www.bcefa.org/ for updates and info.

If you do go, drop a comment and let me know how you liked it!

FAME: WILL IT LIVE FOREVER?

So Fame opens today at movie theatres across the country. I loved the original. It was pretty naughty for a 13 year old, but I loved the gritty edge it had and, of course, the dance numbers. I don’t know how much I’ll like this new version… it looks kinda slick, less edgy, and a little too polished. I guess that is what we can expect in the age of American Idol and the like. Still, I’ll go see it just for the “faculty” which is all Broadway talent – Kelsey Grammer, Bebe Neuwirth, Megan Mullally, and the Fame dame herself, Debbie Allen. Plus there’s cutie pie Paul McGill, straight from A Chorus Line.

The reviews haven’t been kind… If you see it, tell me what you think! Leave a comment below!

BROADWAY NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM

One section of the Smithsonian that didn’t come to life in Night at the Museum II was the Broadway exhibit. That might have been pretty cool, huh? I’ve not seen it, but the next time I’m in Washington DC (maybe Oct. 11 with the cast of Hair?) I think I’ll take it in. I hear there are costumes, props and set pieces from shows like Cats, Fiddler on the Roof, A Chorus Line, The King and I, and now the latest: memorabilia from The Lion King. Rafiki’s costume, shoes and headdress, Simba’s mask and other stuff was just donated there and revealed in a ceremony that happened yesterday.

Have you been there? How was it? Leave a comment below!

ON MY iPOD THIS WEEK

TOP 5 SONGS

  1. “Superboy and the Invisible Girl” from next to normal

  2. “An English Teacher” from Bye Bye Birdie

  3. “One Boy” from Bye Bye Birdie

  4. “The Bitch of Living” from Spring Awakening
  5. “My Junk” from Spring Awakening

TOP 3 CDS

  1. next to normal – Original Broadway Cast Recording

  2. Bye Bye Birdie – Original Broadway Cast Recording

  3. Spring Awakening – Original Broadway Cast Recording


PLAYBILL IS 125 YEARS OLD!

Happy Birthday! To theatre’s best companion, Playbill Magazine, which just turned 125 years old this week! Check out these cool logos from past to present. I got them from, naturally, Playbill Online!





BLIND ITEM

If you follow my blog, you know there are certain shows I really want to see this fall. Well, I saw one of them recently. But I won’t write about it until it opens, which isn’t for more than 2 weeks. They need all the time they can get…oops! Still, I hope it will turn out great and be a huge hit!

AND FINALLY…

Just last week I was talking about NOT looking forward to Love Never Dies. Then I got this link. http://www.loveneverdies.com/october8th/ Pretty interesting. What do you think?

Have a great weekend!
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...