Saturday, September 19, 2009

normal on TV: Face the Music

As you have probably gathered by reading my blog entries, that I am in love with anything and everything to do with next to normal. While I enjoyed Billy Elliot very very much, n2n really pleased every musical theatre fan cell in my body. The score, the book, the cast, the staging, the technical elements all came together in both an artistic AND entertaining way. Its message is both specific and universal, and that combination is what takes a good musical and makes it a great one. In my mind, next to normal was the Best Musical of 2008-2009.

Even the show's advertisements hit me in all the right ways: the songs picked (and the specific snippets selected) perfectly match the characters, but whether you've seen the show or not, each spot intrigues without being off putting and, in my opinion, generates interest without giving anything away. And I love the density of meaning in the tag line: "One family is about to face the music." Perfection!

I wish thay had one for Adam Chanler-Berat (the cutest nerdy guy on Broadway), but it makes sense not to have one for that character or the doctors, played by Louis Hobson.

For those of you (like me) who don't get to see NY commercials, here, once again thanks to YouTube is a way to see all 5 spots!

MEET NATALIE - Jennifer Damiano (featuring "Superboy and the Invisible Girl")



MEET GABE - Aaron Tveit (featuring "I'm Alive")



MEET DAN - J. Robert Spencer (featuring "I Am the One")



MEET DIANA - Alice Ripley (featuring "I Miss the Mountains")



and finally...

MEET THE FAMILY (featuring "(Just) Another Day"



I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! What shows are you obssessed with? Let me know!
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...