I would say, with a few glaring exceptions, that Broadway showed up Hollywood pretty darned well.
- It was a Broadway sweep for Dancing with the Stars, with vets Donny Osmond, Mya and London stage vet Kelly Osbourne making the top three. And then there are the dance pros: Maks, Karina, and this season's champ, Kym, all of whom have or are appearing in Burn the Floor.
- One word: Glee. Broadway vets: Stars Matthew Morrison, Lea Michele (Golden Globe nominees, both) Plus off-Broadway star and fellow Golden Globe nominee, Jane Lynch. Guest stars (so far): John Lloyd Young, Victor Garber, Debra Monk, Kristin Chenoweth, and songs from Funny Girl, Wicked, Dreamgirls, Cabaret, Les Miserables and more.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson in the ratings and critical hit Modern Family.
- Still racking up the ratings: Jon Cryer, Josh Radnor, Neil Patrick Harris and Johnny Galecki in (respectively) Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory. On Thursdays, ratings are still top rate for Grey's Anatomy, and are growing for Private Practice, which is great news for Broadway-ites, Chandra Wilson, Sara Ramirez, Audra McDonald, Timothy Daly and Taye Diggs.
- The critically re-acclaimed Ugly Betty is languishing in its Friday slot, but is moving, in a vote of confidence from ABC. Good news for such Broadway folk as Vanessa Williams (Great White Way-bound in Sondheim on Sondheim), Michael Urie and Becky Newton.
- Jane Krakowski and Alec Baldwin, no strangers to the theatre scene, must be relieved that NBC and the Emmys love 30 Rock, because no one seems to be watching...
- Tony-winner Blair Brown faces similar problems with Fringe, as show that is bleeding viewers, but one that Fox and the critics love.
- Broadway-bound (gulp) Kelsey Grammer, whose Hank got yanked early on...
- Joely Fischer, so great in Cabaret, is much less-so in 'Til Death, a show that keeps going for some odd reason.
- The numbers have run out on Numb3rs, the once big hit, now running out of steam show with Tony-winner Judd Hirsch.
Comments? Please leave one here or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.