(And thank you to everyone who wrote in to tell me that I misspelled Elaine and Gonzalez. I can't fix it without losing what is there already. My apologies to both Ms. Stritch and Ms. Gonzalez.)
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED THIS WEEK!
- REVIEW: Chess at Signature Theatre
- JK's TheatreScene Turns 1 Year Old!
- Broadway Boys: Mr. September 2010
- POLL RESULTS: Fall Plays and Musicals
- Broadway Games: Pictograms
- The 2010-2011 Season: Easy Come, Easy Go
SO LONG, TWYLA AND FRANK
Come Fly Away, Twyla Tharp's latest dance musical with the songs of Frank Sinatra as its base, slinks quietly off the Broadway map, after 26 previews and 188 performances. I say quietly even though it consistently grossed in the high $600K, but mostly because it announced its closing weeks ago and now leaves with little fanfare. The show divided critics (I loved it; Steve on Broadway hated it, for example), but all things considered, it had a respectable run at one of Broadway's largest theatres. With the Marquis now vacant, it is a matter of time before a big show makes its announcement of occupancy - I still think Priscilla: Queen of the Desert, but there are several big shows waiting to come in with no home at this time, so nothing would really surprise me.
SCOTTSBORO BOYS ON CD
COMING SOONER OR LATER TO THIS BLOG:
- REVIEWS: Wicked, The Scottboro Boys, Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
- BOOK REVIEW: A Little Bit Wicked
- CD REVIEWS: Sondheim on Sondheim, Million Dollar Quartet, Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
- LOGOS: Lombardi, Brief Encounter, The Scottsboro Boys, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
- Back to School on Broadway
- TECHIE CLOSE UP: Theoni V. Aldredge
08/29: Elliot Gould, Actor (I Can Get It For You Wholesale)
08/30: Elizabeth Ashley, Actress (Dividing the Estate)
08/31: Alan Jay Lerner, Late Lyricist (My Fair Lady, Camelot)
09/01: Lily Tomlin, Actress (The Search for Signs...)
09/02: Chad Kimball, Actor (Memphis, Lennon, Into the Woods)
09/03: Eileen Brennan, Actress (Hello, Dolly!)
09/04: Judith Ivey, Actress (Follies)
Comments? Leave one here, Yahoo me or Tweet me!