Merrily We Roll Along is currently enjoying a revival at City Center as part of the Encores! series. In the show, which is told in reverse chronological order, the lyrical question "How did you get to be here?" comes up often. All of the best Broadway shows ask the "really important questions."
Here are some of the "bigger questions" posed by some of Broadway's biggest hits - and a few flops, too.
Identify each in one of these ways:
- EASY: name the show it comes from
- CHALLENGING: name the song and the show
- MASTER CLASS: name the show, the song and the character who sings or asks the question.
(HINT: Each lyric with an "*" comes from a Tony winning Best Musical and/or Best Musical Revival)
- *What do you do with a B.A. in English?
- Does your mother know?
- How 'bout a dance?
- What do you get when you fall in love?
- I sort of hate to ask it, but do you have a basket?
- Isn't it good to know that good will conquer evil?
- How can you get so far off the track? Why don't you turn around and go back?