Monday, December 10, 2012

Looking Forward to Winter 2012-2013

The fall's only A+ show
Every time I sit down to do one of these blogs, I am shocked that another 3 months has flown by.  As usual. I'll look back before I look to the future.  I didn't see any of the four plays I listed in my fall column, though there is a (small) chance I'll still get to Golden Boy and/or Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?.  Musical-wise I did much better: I only missed two on the list - Giant (I'm sure I'll see it regionally at some point) and Rebecca folded, so...  I did get to see Forbidden Broadway: Alive and Kicking (B+), Chaplin (B+), A Christmas Story: The Musical (B)The Mystery of Edwin Drood (A+) and Scandalous (F).  That's an average of C-. But I am optimistic that the Little Orphan at the Palace Theatre will bring up that average a little bit (can it possibly be as bad as you know what..).  I'll be seeing Annie this weekend.


And now to the future.  I will be considering all of the shows currently scheduled to open during the months of December, January and February, or have most of their previews during February. And judging by most of the logos for the winter, things look hot and sexy!

PLAYS



Picnic (On Broadway at the American Airlines Theatre)

A classic play and some interesting relatively new-to-the-scene casting... could this be the show that finally gets me into the only Broadway theatre I've never been in?


Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (On Broadway at the Richard Rodgers Theatre)

Another classic play - love me some Tennessee Williams - and three actors I admire  - Scarlet Johansson, Benjamin Walker and Debra Monk.  Perhaps...

MUSICALS




Bare (Off-Broadway at New World Stages)

Well, I am seeing it this weekend, so I know at least one show on my list I will have seen!  I've been involved in a local production of this show, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the changes made to it work (or don't).  And I'm excited to see this amazing young cast!


Cinderella (On Broadway at the Broadway Theatre)

I'm not a huge Rodgers and Hammerstein fan, but I am looking forward to seeing what fun twists Douglas Carter Beane comes up with book-wise, and as you know, I love Laura Osnes, and can't wait to see Harriet Harris and Victoria Clark.  Add Santino Fontana and how could I miss it?


Passion (Off Broadway at Classic Stage Company)

I loved Passion before it was cool to love Passion.  You don't want to know how many times I saw the Broadway production.  I'm not a huge Melissa Errico fan, but I love, love, love Judy Kuhn, and the prospect of Ryan Silverman as Giorgio is enticing.

Not much going on these months.  Maybe I will get to Golden Boy and Virginia Woolf after all.  And there's always 7 more murderers to see in The Mystery of Edwin Drood...


Before you go... (Click the blue links!)
Check out these reviews: 
Check out these Broadway Babies:
VOTE IN THE THIS MONTH'S POLL - LEFT SIDE OF BLOG!

4.101
Jeff


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...