WHY SHE'S MS. BROADWAY: She's getting ready to begin previews in the new legal thriller, A Time to Kill, and she is a 3-time Tony Award nominee - she won for Jelly's Last Jam. Equally at home on stage in plays and musicals, she made her Broadway debut in Merrily We Roll Along, and has been in such varied musicals as Chronicle of a Death Foretold, The Wild Party, and Play On! One of her most acclaimed roles came with the fan favorite Caroline, or Change. Her stage play roles include parts in Radio Golf, August Wilson's last play. She's also a TV star, having played a role in All My Children for several years, along with roles in Criminal Minds, Law and Order and The Cosby Show among others. Movie roles include parts in such films as Above the Rim and Enchanted. But it seems that this month's honoree, Tonya Pinkins, always returns to the stage. No wonder she's Ms. Broadway for September 2013!
- She was born on May 30th, in Chicago, where she grew up.
- She went to several colleges, including Columbia College, Carnegie Mellon, and... California Western School of Law.
- She is an activist and author.
- She had a major role on All My Children, playing Livia Frye from 1991 - 1995, and again in 2003 - 2006.
- She has 3 children from three marriages.
|Off-Broadway: Milk Like Sugar|