Thursday, October 9, 2014

TBT: I Love NY

In the late 70's - early 80's, before I had ever stepped foot inside a Broadway theater, before i even knew I loved musicals, I was enamored of the glamorous dancing and catch beat of the "I Love NY" commercials.  Before I had ever seen A Chorus Line was, I knew I loved the "One Wedge."  In my room, I practiced every step, kick and flip of the hat.  And though, I had not yet seen Cats, every stolen moment alone found me striking feline poses and staring down any mirror  could find as I hissed into it.  I am sure I'm not the only kid who ever did that.

I remember vividly, running to the TV every time that tune came over the airwaves.

Now, of course, I look back on them with nostalgia and appreciation, able to identify each show and several cast members on sight.  I think the need to bring this back and fast!

Here are 5 I found for your viewing pleasure!  Share your thoughts in the comments section, please! (I'm sure I've missed some of the "names" in these... the images aren't too clear - if you know any of them, let me know!)

1.  Cats (Terrence Mann), The Rockettes, Nine (Anita Morris), Dreamgirls, Lena Horne (The Lady and Her Music), A Chorus Line, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and Brooke Shields


2.  A Chorus Line, The Wiz (Stephanie Mills), Grease, The King and I (Yul Brenner), Annie, Judd Hirsch, The Gin Game (Hume Cronin and Jessica Tandy), The Magic Show, Dracula (Frank Langella)



3.  Beverly Sills, The Rockettes, They're Playing Our Song (Lucie Arnaz and Tony Roberts), Evita (Mandy Patinkin, Patti LuPone, Bob Gunton), Sweeney Todd (Angela Lansbury and Walter Charles), Ain't Misbehavin', Dancin' (Ann Reinking dead center), Peter Pan (Sandy Duncan and George Rose)



4.  Sugar Babies/The Little Foxes (Mickey Rooney and Elizabeth Taylor), The Rockettes, Barnum (Jim Dale), Woman of the Year (Lauren Bacall), Lena Horne (The Lady and Her Music), Sophisticated Ladies, The Pirates of Penzance (Rex Smith and Linda Ronstadt), Lena and the Rockettes



5. Beverly Sills, The Rockettes, Sugar Babies (Mickey Rooney and Ann Miller), Evita (Mandy Patinkin, Patti LuPone, Bob Gunton), Ain't Misbehavin', Dancin' (Ann Reinking dead center), A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine (Priscilla Lopez)



Jeff
6.020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...