Tuesday, February 6, 2018

#MyBroadwayThing: CDs

Last week, I alluded to this week's #MyBroadwayThing.  Just like I can't bear to think about NOT having an actual ticket for a show, I'm struggling with the inevitable demise of Original Cast Recordings on compact disc.

Well, actually, I'm still not over the loss of vinyl cast recordings - especially the double ones that opened up, with big pictures, liner notes and lyrics.  In fact, I still have about 30 of them, and take heart that more and more shows are putting out vinyl cast recordings. Now, if I can just get another record player...

Anyway, I guess it says something about me that I need to feel the disc in my hand, the booklet at the ready to look at the production photos, and to read and re-read the liner notes and lyrics.  Sure they are smaller than they would be on a record album, but it's better than nothing!

I realize you can download the "booklet" with most album downloads.  And I know digital is more environmentally responsible.  But I just can't help it.  I feel good that I recycle the jewel cases, I guess. And I feel an odd sense of accomplishment when I fill up yet another CD binder (I'm on number 4...)

The good news is that I do actually listen to most of them over the course of a given year, and considering I have hundreds of them, that's impressive, if I do say so myself.

As I re-read the above, I wonder if #MyBroadwayThing is really #Hoarding.

If you have a "Broadway thing" let me know!  Tweet @jkstheatrescene with #MyBroadwayThing or email me at jkstheatrescene@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...