Friday, July 13, 2018

The Friday 5: 5 Favorite Musicals Based on Movies




The much-anticipated (and much-chatted about) Broadway-bound musical Moulin Rouge! began previews this week, and I'm going on Saturday! I'm super excited! And it got me thinking about my favorite musicals based on films.  I wonder if Moulin Rouge will join this list? Here are 5 of them (presented alphabetically, not ranked):

THE FRIDAY 5:
5 OF JEFF'S FAVORITE
MUSICALS BASED ON MOVIES


The Band's Visit


Award-winning film turned into award-winning musical! It's the newest one on the list, and it is already one of my all-time favorite shows.

 The Full Monty


I guess I have a thing for small foreign films turned into Broadway musicals featuring scores by David Yazbek. I loved this warm, funny musical that bared it all - literally and emotionally.

The Goodbye Girl


I loved this show so much. I laughed my ass off and despite what many people think, I thought Bernadette Peters was amazing, and Martin Short was sublime. "Paula (A Love Song)" remains one of my favorite duets.

Hands on a Hardbody


A show that really got the short end of the stick. Masterfully staged, especially considering that the story hinges on hours of people standing still! The score was wonderful, and the cast (including Keith Carradine, Jon Rua, Allison Case and the always wonderful Jay Armstrong Johnson) was top notch.

Once


Surely, I cannot be the only person who cries every single time he hears "Falling Slowly," right. And, again with the small foreign film... there's a trend there...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...