Monday, September 3, 2018

Looking Forward to Fall: September - November 2018

Today's Labor Day, the unofficial end of summer. Instead of being sad that the summer season is over, I'm choosing to be optimistic about the coming fall. But first, let's have quick review of what turned out to be a busier-than-usual post-Tonys three months. I enjoyed it more than most it would seem, especially since I found my newest musical obsession: Head Over Heels (A+). I also really enjoyed both The Boys in the Band (A) and Pretty Woman: The Musical (B+).

The fall looks to be pretty busy, too, at least on Broadway. There are 10 shows opening between September and November, including 2 new musicals, 1 play revival and a whopping 7 new plays. Here's what I'm looking forward to this fall:

Passion (Signature Theatre, Virginia) 

Okay, so this is a holdover from summer, but I'm actually seeing it in fall! One of my favorite Sondheim musicals, done by one of my favorite regional theaters, and starring two of my favorite theater people (Claybourne Elder and Natascia Diaz). What's not to be excited about?


So much happiness...
Giorgio...


The Broadway Flea Market and Grand Auction (Theatre District)

Mike and I (and our very good friend) have made this annual event a tradition - shopping and a show! We always split up and find one-of-a-kind Christmas gifts for each other, grab lunch and head off to a show...

The Band's Visit (on Broadway at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre)

It'll be the third Visit for Mike and me, and first for our friend - and it's her birthday gift, too! We are looking forward to seeing Katrina Lenk again, and the new Tewfiq, Sasson Gabay, too. And of course, I'm looking forward to Papi, Haled and Telephone Guy...



The Waverly Gallery (on Broadway at the John Golden Theatre)

Hard to determine what was the biggest attraction here: a Pulitzer Prize-nominated play by Kenneth Lonergan, or a cast including the legendary Elaine May, two of our favorite young actors, Michael Cera and Lucas Hedges, and the director of one of our all-time favorite musicals, David Cromer. (I love directors who also act!) Speaking of directors, we are also excited to see Lila Neugebauer's Broadway debut!






King Kong (on Broadway at the Broadway Theatre) 

We decided to take a chance on this, mostly because I want to see that giant puppet in action, and we got decent front mezz seats at a very reasonable price. On the other hand, the new video they released last week, "Queen of New York," featuring the human star of the show, Christiani Pitts, looks (and sounds) pretty good to me.







The Prom (on Broadway at the Longacre Theatre) 

It sounds like it could be fun and topical.  I love the cast - Beth Leavel and Christopher Sieber never disappoint, and Angie Schworer is one of my absolutely favorite ensemblists (looking forward to seeing her in a role!), plus, it'll be great to see Caitlin Kinnunen again (loved her in Spring Awakening and The Bridges of Madison County). I also have high hopes for Bob Martin's book and Matthew Sklar and Chad Beguelin's score, having enjoyed their previous efforts on The Drowsy Chaperone and The Wedding Singer. And Mean Girls not withstanding, Casey Nicholaw is a very reliable director/choreographer.


What are you looking forward this fall? Send us an email or Tweet us!

#1886

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...