Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Looking Forward to Winter

I thought I'd share what I am looking forward to this winter, show-wise... (assumes that "winter" runs December - February)
Before I start that, let me review the results of my previous column for the fall (September - November):
  • I didn't see any of the plays I wanted to see: The Neil Simon Plays, After Miss Julie or A Steady Rain. Why? In order: the damn thing closed way too soon, ran out of time/lost interest, and could get/afford a decent ticket.
  • I did see two of the three musicals: Memphis and Bye Bye Birdie. The result? In order: LOVED it - recommend it to everyone - plan to see it again, and ick (still love you Gina!)
  • And I did see the holdover: Rock of Ages, including Kerry Butler. The result? Glad I saw it, won't be back, she was decent.
And so, I look forward!


PLAYS

Time Stands Still at the Manhattan Theatre Club - Samuel J. Friedman Theatre

The cast is the main attraction here - Laura Linney, Alicia Silverstone and Brian D'Arcy James - though the subject matter - a war journalist and photographer are returning home intrigues me, too.


The Miracle Worker at Circle in the Square

Here the play, one of my favorites, and the cast, two of my favorite actors (Abigail Breslin - the best child actor since Jodie Foster, and Allison Pill) are the draw. Plus I'm interested to see it staged in the semi-round.


MUSICALS


A Little Night Music at the Walter Kerr Theatre

If you have ever read this blog before, you know exactly why I can't wait to see this! Stephen Sondheim. Check. Academy Award winner/Broadway Debutante Catherine Zeta-Jones. Check. Oh, and theatre goddess Angela Lansbury. CHECK!!!! I'm seeing it in early January... snow stay away!!!!



Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark at the Hilton Theatre

Assuming this one happens on time, though it looks less and less likely, if it happens at all. The draw for me is not the score by U2, but the story - I love Spider-Man, the director, Julie Taymor - I am dying to see how this creative genius pulls it off, and I am very interested in the three principals already cast - Rachel Evan Wood, Alan Cumming and hot newcomer Reeve Carney. I don't care if it doesn't happen this winter, as long as it happens.



ONE MORE - A HOLDOVER FROM FALL

Ragtime at the Neil Simon Theatre

I have to see what all the fuss is about, and after seeing it on the parade, I am interested in it even more. Have tickets for mid-January, but am praying it holds on that long. Rumor has it that it'll be out by January 3rd.



What are you looking forward to the most this winter? Add a comment or write to jkstheatrescene@yahoo.com!
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...