Saturday, August 28, 2010

Best of the Decade: The Best Musicals of the Past

Now that my top musicals of the 21st Century have been posted, let me answer a question that several of you have asked me:  What were my favorite musicals of past decades?

Even though I didn't really start attending live theatre regularly until 1983, several 1970's musicals had their influence on me, so I'll start there.  I'll give you my 3 favorites for each decade.

The 1970's:

Honorable Mention: Applause

3.  Company


2.  Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street


1.  A Chorus Line


The 1980's

Honorable Mention: La Cage aux Folles

3.  Evita


2.  Grand Hotel: The Musical


1.  The Mystery of Edwin Drood


Here is a video made for the song "Don't Quit While You're Ahead" featuring the Original Broadway Cast and writer Rupert Holmes.  Love the 80's beat!  And Betty, Cleo and Howard look amazing!! (Thanks, Kevin D. for bringing this treat to my attention.)  RIP George Rose, a gentleman and a great actor.




The 1990's

Honorable Mention: Sunset Boulevard, Titanic and Side Show

3.  RENT


2.  Blood Brothers


1.  Kiss of the Spider Woman


What were yours?  Please write in and share!

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...