Saturday, February 2, 2013

Happy/Sad: Theatre is a Love/Hate Thing

Call me an emotional theatre geek if you want to.  I'm in great company.  Like most theatre fans, I tend toward, well, dramatic responses to things.  This week, there have been theatre things that make me happy and things that make sad.  Since there were more in the former category than the latter, I guess it was a good week...

Bad news first:


THINGS THAT MAKE ME SAD:



  • A.R.T.'s production of The Glass Menagerie: It is one of my top 5 favorite plays of all time.  A.R.T. is am impressive theatre company.  Four of my favorite actors are in it - Zachary Quinto, Cherry Jones, Brian J. Smith and Celia Keenan-Bolger.  So why am I sad?  Because I'm going to miss it altogether!  Now in previews, it closes in Boston on March 17th.



  • Bare: The Musical is closing tomorrow: No matter whether you liked the changes to the show or not, you have to admit that its message is an important one.  I like both versions.  And the cast is top notch.  I can't wait to see what's next for Jason, Taylor, Barrett, Elizabeth, Casey, Michael, Justin, Alex, Missy and the rest  of the cast!  And there is good news - a cast recording is coming!



Jason, meet Jason:
John Hill and Jason Hite

Original New York Cast meets Original Revival Cast:
Natalie Joy (kneeling, center), John, Jason, Barrett,
Adam, Elizabeth and  Jenna Leigh


THINGS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY:




  • Meryl Streep in Into the Woods:  I know it isn't cool or fashionable to admit that I liked the movie version of Mamma Mia! and especially Ms. Streep.  Can't you just imagine the dramatic depths she will plumb with "Stay with Me"?  The delicious evil of "Last Midnight"? Or the comedy potential of her rap song? If she can make the bitch in The Devil Wears Prada hateful AND likable  she should be golden as The Witch! Side note to Rob Marshall:  How about Mamie Gummer as Rapunzel and Benjamin Walker as the Wolf/Cinderella's Prince?  Why not keep it in the family?





  • Broadway Bares Winter Burlesque: OK, so I'm up for hot Broadway dancers practically naked any time.  But it sure is nice of the folks at Broadway Bares to give us something to, um, nibble on before the big show each summer.


Funny...

...Sexy...

...and Talented!
3 reasons to love Broadway Bares: Winter Burlesque!


  • The American Idiot Documentary:  As you know, we here at JK's TheatreScene are MEGA Idiots!  So imagine my delight when I found out that a documentary film of the making of American Idiot the Broadway musical is being debuted at the South By Southwest Film Festival in Texas this March.  I can't wait to see it! When does the DVD come out?




Before you go...
  • CLICK on the Passion logo in the upper right column and VOTE in this week's HOT or NOT poll!
  • CLICK on the pic of Drood's Eric Sciotto in the upper left column to READ all about his experience the day he had to go on as Neville Landless!  (To read his other 3 interviews, click on his pics in the right column!)
  • CLICK on the pic of Cinderella's Cody Williams in the right column to check out my interview with this up-and-coming Broadway star!


Jeff
4.153

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...