Thursday, July 17, 2014

TBT: Follies (2011)


I am ashamed to admit that as a Sondheim fan, I had never seen Follies until the revival that opened at the Marquis Theatre on September 12, 2011.  Even more, I am ashamed to admit that prior to seeing it, I hated it.  Yes, hated it.  Of course, my dislike for it was based on the horrible original Broadway Cast recording. Face it, even the most ardent fans who relive the original show in their minds daily think the recording is pretty stinky.

But then I finally saw it... and I loved it.  Yes, loved it. (My review HERE.)  I think I started to cry from the moment Bernadette Peters came onto the stage, eyes full of expectation, and, in an instant, her face clouded over with disappointment, regret and sadness.




My favorite Follies things:
The fabulous cast, lead by (L to R)
Bernadette Peters, Jan Maxwell, Danny Burstein, Ron Raines

I love those spectral girls from Follies-past!

Jane Houdyshell's "Broadway Baby" and the ghost of
her past.  Love that their hair is the same!

"One More Kiss" with the stunning Rosalind Elias
and Leah Horowitz

"Who's That Woman?" as spectacularly led by Terri White!

She wasn't my favorite in the show, but to have the chance
to see the great Elaine Paige live was still a great moment!

The song tells us, "You're Gonna Love Tomorrow," but I am gonna love Follies forever!


Jeff
5.211

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...