Friday, May 24, 2019

300 Broadway Shows! (...and Counting!)

Well, it took just short of thirty-six years, bit I finally reached a big milestone in my Broadway theater-going career! As of last Sunday, I have seen 300 different Broadway productions. That's not too bad for someone who doesn't live in the city. Seriously, though, I am very grateful that I've been able to do this. I am indeed fortunate.

And I didn't do it alone. (Okay, I did see four of those shows all by myself.) I would like to take this opportunity to thank friends and family members who have shared all the laughs, tears, and thrills of seeing live theater. Special thanks to my friends Mike, Nancy and Val, who shared most of that time with me.

It all started on a summer afternoon way back in 1983 at the age of 17, when my drama teachers took a small group of us to see our first Broadway show. Over my years in high school, working on shows and being in them made me appreciate the art form, and seeing that first show inspired in me a lifetime passion for it.

Where it started: Mame - August 20, 1983 - Gershwin Theatre


Mame (Angela Lansbury) and Vera (Anne Francine)
In between, I saw:

  • 174 new musicals
  • 68 musical revivals
  • 35 new plays
  • 22 play revivals
  • 1 solo show
  • the inside of every theatre at least twice, including theatres that no longer exist!

And number 300: Oklahoma! - May 19, 2019 - Circle in the Square Theatre


The Oklahoma! Company

Over the next weeks, I'll be sharing lists of my favorite shows, performers and creatives, and a few of my...un-favorites. I hope you'll enjoy and let me know what you think. And please share your favorites, too!

#2084

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...